Drummond Castle in Muthill parish is a little south of Crieff,
Perthshire. The oldest part is a tower-house built over several
years by Sir John Drummond of Cargill, following the issue of a
royal warrant by King James III in 1491.
It is set on part of a prominent spine of rock known as the Gask
Ridge, a geographical feature which stretches several kilometres
across Perthshire, but is particularly prominent and steep-sided
at the site of the castle. The original tower was ruined after Cromwell's
siege in 1653. The upper stories were rebuilt (and heightened) in
pseudo-medieval style in 1842-53, but the structure is no longer
used as a dwelling. The keep is adjoined by a later, but better
preserved, gatehouse (built 1629-30).