Castles and Manor Houses Home Page

Megginch Castle
Castle in Scotland

Castles and Manor Houses on Facebook

Castles and Manor Houses on Twitter

Castles and Manor Houses on Tumblr

Castles and Manor Houses on Reddit

Castles and Manor Houses on Google+

 

Megginch Castle in Perth and Kinross, in central Scotland, was built for the Hay family in the 15th Century, Originally a rectangular red sandstone tower house, begun before 1460, the castle was extended and remodelled by Peter Hay in 1575 to comprise three storeys and an attic.

The Hays family sold the property to the Drummond family in 1664 and it has been extended in subsequent centuries.

The gardens are notable, with four ancient yew trees each more than 1000 years old, topiary, an astrological garden, a sundial dating from 1572, a fountain parterre, a 17th-century rose garden and a walled garden with a long herbaceous border and ancient fruit trees. Several of the old pear and apple varieties are greatly valued.

 

 

 

 

The much-extended Megginch Castle lies amongst woodlands in the Carse of Gowrie, 2 miles (3 km) north of Errol and 12 miles (19 km) east of Perth.

Opening times - April to October, Daily, Open 2pm to 5.30pm



Address:
Megginch Castle
Errol, near Perth, Perth and Kinross PH2 7SW
Scotland

Contact
Telephone from the UK: 0821 642222
Telephone from the US: 010 44 821 642222
Telephone from France: 00 44 821 642222
Telephone from other countries: +44 (0)821 642222

Fax: 01821 642708

Google map showing the location of Megginch Castle

 

Google map showing Megginch Castle

 

The castle was altered in the 1710s, then in 1790 supposedly by Robert Adam (1728-92), and extended again in 1820 and 1928.

A fire in 1969 necessitated the complete restoration of the 18th and 19th century sections of the house.

It is still occupied and is now the seat of the Drummonds of Megginch (Barons Strange). Inside the principal rooms are located on the first floor; the inter-connected drawing room and library feature fine ceilings and grand marble chimney-pieces.

On display is an unusual collection British birds dating from 1840.

To the northwest of the house is a 19th-century stable block, with an unusual octagonal doocot in its courtyard, which features open Gothic arches below and a bellcast roof which is almost oriental in style.

To the north is a small chapel dating from 1781, built on the site of another dating from 1689.

 

 

 

 

The arms of Hay of Megginch

 

 

 

 

Film Location For:


Rob Roy (1994)    

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I want to   a   in      

 

 

 

 

Castles and Manor Houses on Facebook

Castles and Manor Houses on Twitter

Castles and Manor Houses on Tumblr

Castles and Manor Houses on Reddit

Castles and Manor Houses on Google+

 

   ::::   Link to us   ::::   Castle and Manor Houses Resources   :::    © C&MH 2010-2014   :::   contact@castlesandmanorhouses.com   :::   Advertising   :::