Ljubljana Castle (Slovene: Ljubljanski Grad)
Ljubljana Castle is located on Castle Hill (Grajski
gric) overlooking the old town of Ljubljana. The area has been settled
continuously since 1200 BC. The hill probably became a Roman army
stronghold after fortifications were built in Illyrian and Celtic
In 1335 it became property of the House of Habsburg.
In the 15th century it was almost completely demolished and rebuilt
with a complete wall and towers at the entrance.
In the 17th and 18th centuries, the castle became
an arsenal and a military hospital. It was damaged during the Napoleonic
period and, once back in the Austrian Empire, became a prison, which
it remained until 1905, resuming that function during World War