Örebro (Oerebro) Castle, Örebro, Närke,
The castle lies on an island in the river Svartån.
For over 700 years occupants of Örebro Castle
monitored the bridge over the River Svartån. The oldest part
of the castle, a defence tower, was erected in the latter half of
the 13th century. This tower was added to in the 14th century to
make a larger stronghold, and towards the end of the 16th century
most of the castle we see today was built. It was expanded during
the reign of the royal House of Vasa and rebuilt about 1900.