Bram is a commune in the Aude department in the
Languedoc-Roussillon. It was part of the old province of Lauragais.
The Romans settled here because of a climate which
balanced the warmth of the Mediterranean with the freshness of the
Atlantic. In 60BCE, they began construction of a settlement here
and called it Eburomagus. Nothing remains of the Roman settlement
but the CD33 road to the village follows the old Roman road.
The modern town dates from the 12th century, built
around its fortress church. The only way into the village was by
a gate to the east. Bram is a circulade, its concentric rings once
defended by walls and now evidenced by concentric roads.
In 1210, the head of the Crusaders, Simon de Montfort,
came here from Montlaur accompanied by the Spanish monk Dominic
Guzma (now St. Dominic).
Simon took the citadel of Bram after three days
of siege. He then had the nose and upper lip cut from each prisoner,
and had their eyes gauged out.. For one he left one eye eye so he
could guide this lamentable cohort accross the country to seek refuge
It is widely held that the survivors of Montsegur
were burnt alive there in 1244 on the famous Prat dels Cremats,
but there is some reason to believe that they were brought to Bram
and burned there.
By the 17th century Bram had outgrown its walls.
Today nothing remains of the castle here or of the city walls