This is a rare castle - a genuine Cathar Château that is still inhabited. It was built by Guilhem de Planh (Guilhaume de Plaigne) a key figure in the events at Avignonet in 1242 and the tragedy of Montségur 1244.
The Chateau was sold the Knights of Malta (The Knights Hospitaller or Knights of St-John) in the seventeenth century.
It has been completely refurbished as a handsome private residence set in its own grounds and available for exclusive hire. It is available for weddings and other private functions, and for business conferences.
It is located in the heart of Cathar Country in the Aude department in the Languedoc, between Carcassonne and Toulouse.