A Norman castle originally stood on the high ground in this spot. During the English Civil War, it was one of the more notable strongholds of the king's supporters. It eventually passed into the hands of the Dukes of Rutland and following a fire, was rebuilt by the wife of the 5th Duke, and gained its present Gothic castle look. The architect James Wyatt was chiefly responsible for this restructuring, and the result is a building which bears a superficial resemblance to a medieval castle, its central tower reminiscent of Windsor Castle.
Belvoir was a royal manor until it was granted to Robert, 1st baron de Ros in 1257. When that family died out in 1508 the manor and castle passed to George Manners, who inherited the castle and barony through his mother. His son was created Earl of Rutland in 1525, and John Manners, 9th Earl of Rutland was created Duke of Rutland in 1703..
The Queen's Royal Lancers Regimental Museum of the 17th and 21st Lancers was established here in 1964 but was required to leave in October 2007.
The estate is open to the public and offers a range of outdoor activities - shooting, fishing, quad biking and four-by-four driving. Throughout the year they host sheep, duck and dog exhibitions.
The Duke and Duchess of Rutland also manage Manners Arms, a country hotel and restaurant on the Belvoir estate
Since spring 2006, the castle has been the venue for an annual folk music weekend. Organised by volunteers. Performers from all over the region forgo their usual fees and expenses, for the chance to play in Belvoir's ballroom, guardroom, old servants' hall and the Regent's gallery.
Belvoir Castle is the host of Belvoir Fireworks. a pyrotechnic and firework competition.